These pumpkin cupcakes by Ina Garten are great with the maple frosting but it is optional; the cupcakes has so much flavor on their own. They make a great lunchbox treat, and you can save the icing for a special occasion.
Pumpkin cupcakes with maple frosting
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Heath bars, for serving
- Ingredients for the Maple Frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon Boyajian Natural Maple Flavor
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush or spray the top of 10 muffin tins with vegetable oil and line them with 10 paper liners.
Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. In a larger bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Divide the batter among the prepared tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a test knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
Spread with maple frosting and sprinkle with the chopped toffee bars.
Directions for the Maple Frosting
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter on low speed until smooth. Stir in the maple flavoring and vanilla extract. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.