This classic spinach dip is a guaranteed crowd pleaser at any gathering. Serve it with fresh baguette or pita and your guests will quickly make the dip disappear. It can be assembled up to 3 days ahead, and kept in the fridge, making it the perfect party dish. Just bake 30 minutes before guests arrive, and you are all set.
Hot spinach dip
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds spinach, trimmed and finely chopped (or 2 10 oz packs of frozen spinach, thawed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 ounces reduced-fat bar cream cheese
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 3 dashes hot sauce optional
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fine sea salt and ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Heat olive oil over medium in a large pan. Add onion and cook for 4-5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Add spinach in two additions, letting each batch wilt before adding the next; cook until completely wilted, about 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a colander; and press spinach mixture to make sure all of the excess liquid has been released.
In the same pot, warm milk over medium-high heat. Whisk in cream cheese until melted, about 3 minutes. Add spinach, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and 1/4 cup mozzarella. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Pour into a lightly oiled 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.
Bake until bubbly and golden brown, about 25 minutes.