This Italian recipe for quick chicken ragu is the definition of comfort food! The recipe recommends cubing the chicken thighs which reduces the overall cooking time and adding turkey bacon adds instant depth to the dish. Serve this delicious dish with polenta, pasta or couscous as shown here. The ragu can be made 1 day ahead. Enjoy!
Quick Chicken Ragu
adapted from Gourmet Italian Kitchen
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted margarine
- 1/4 pound turkey bacon slices, diced
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage
- 1 1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine ex. Pinot Noir
- 1 14-15 oz can diced tomatoes in juice, drained
- 3/4 tsp coarse grey sea salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
Heat oil and margarine in a 12 inch heavy skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Add turkey bacon and cook for about 2 minutes. Add sage and rosemary and cook, stirring, another 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes.
Add wine, and simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup, for approx. 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, olives, paprika, salt and pepper, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.