Thai dishes are often thought to include hard to find ingredients, and seen as a treat that can only be enjoyed at your favorite Thai restaurant. This recipe for chicken soup with coconut milk and lime is proof that those delicious flavors can easily be achieved at home with simple ingredients already available at your local supermarket. Coconut milk adds a silky texture to this soup and the lemongrass and lime brighten the chicken stock base. Enjoy with a bowl of rice on the side.
Thai chicken soup with coconut milk and lime
- 6 oz mushrooms, sliced (preferably shitake)
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breasts or boneless thighs, cut into thin strips
- 2 leeks, white sections only and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemongrass, sliced into large sections
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, or more to taste
- 2 cups coconut milk (about 1½ cans)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated lime zest
- 1/3 cup lime juice, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil, for drizzling
In a large stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and add the mushrooms and leeks. Saute until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the chicken stock, chicken strips, ginger, and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the coconut milk and lime zest to the pot, and cook at medium-low heat for another 15 minutes.
Before serving, remove the lemongrass stalks, add the lime juice, and garnish with chopped cilantro, and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil.