This zucchini, potato and cilantro soup is a delicious and comforting starter now that the weather has gotten colder. The texture is velvety and creamy, even though there is no cream in the soup. A final drizzle of olive oil, lime and cilantro really finishes the soup and makes a beautiful presentation. You could also use flavored oils such as truffle or garlic to make the recipe even more special.
Zucchini, potato and cilantro soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6-8 fennel seeds
- 7 oz Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1-2 potatoes)
- 16 to 18 oz zucchini, (about 4 medium) trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 1/3 cup packed minced fresh cilantro, plus extra for garnish
- 3 teaspoons or more fresh lime juice
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add fennel seeds; stir 30 seconds, making sure not to burn the seeds.
Add the potatoes, zucchini, and onions; sauté 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
Purée soup in batches in blender. Once blended, mix in 1/3 cup cilantro. Season with salt and pepper. When serving, garnish with chopped cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice, to taste.