These lamb and veal keftas, or seasoned meatballs, are absolutely delicious and full of flavor. You can easily replace the lamb in the recipe with ground beef, if necessary. Serve these with spicy hummus, good bread or pita, a cucumber and tomato salad, and you are all set to have a delicious meal.
- 350 g ground lamb
- 350 g ground veal
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced, plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 1 1/4 teaspoons allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
In a large bowl, mix the lamb and veal with the onion, garlic, parsley and spices until well combined. Shape oblong keftas, about 2-3 inches in length.
Preheat oven to 425 F. In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. In batches, sear the keftas on all sides till browned, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer keftas to a baking sheet and place in the hot oven for 3-5 minutes to make sure the meatballs are cooked through. Top with toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley. Serve with hummus and tahini sauce.