Portobello mushrooms are a delicious base on which to layer your favorite cheeses and pizza toppings. Perfect as part of a light lunch or appetizer.
- 6 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, homemade or jarred
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Preheat the oven on the broil setting.
Generously coat the portobello mushroom caps with olive oil on both sides, and season with salt and pepper.
Place the caps on a large baking tray and broil for 2-4 minutes per side.
Remove the tray from the oven, and add the marinara sauce, cheese and olives.
Broil for another 2 minutes till the cheese is melted and bubbling.
Sprinkle with fresh chopped basil and serve!