A light version of an Italian classic using versatile zucchini noodles. For a meatier variation, saute ground beef before adding the tomatoes.
Zucchini noodles with marinara sauce
- 5 large zucchini
- Fine sea salt
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced thin
- 1 large can 28 oz peeled San Marzano tomatoes, with their juices
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- Parmesan cheese (optional)
To make the zucchini noodles:
Grate the zucchini using a mandolin into strings.
Place the zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with a bit of salt.
Strain the noodles for 30 minutes to remove excess liquid, while you prepare the sauce.
Heat one tablespoon butter in a medium pan over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté until browned. Add the canned tomatoes and their juices, the remaining butter, onion and salt, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the temperature to medium-low allow the sauce to simmer for 30-40 minutes.
Discard the onion, mix in the chopped basil, and toss the sauce with the zucchini noodles. Add parmesan cheese to taste.