I am a huge fan of Indian food, which is why I am so excited by this quick coconut chicken curry recipe! It tastes the same as from the best Indian restaurants in the city! Made with cubed chicken thighs, which drastically reduces cooking time so that this dish is ready in UNDER 30 MINUTES! Flavoured with coconut milk, ginger, mild curry powder and cooked with spinach and cilantro. Serve with naan or rice for a divine meal.
Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
adapted from Epicurious 2017
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 7), cut into 1″ cubes
- 2 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut or vegetable oil (plus 2 teaspoons; optional)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk (preferably full-fat)
- 1 (2 1/2″) piece ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, chopped (optional)
- 5 oz baby spinach
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems and cooked rice or naan (Indian flatbread; for serving)
In a medium bowl, mix chicken with curry powder, salt, and pepper.
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
In a blender, purée coconut milk, ginger, and garlic until very smooth.
Add chicken and coconut milk mixture to skillet and cook, mixing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 7-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, if using, heat 2 tsp. oil in a small skillet over medium. Add cashews cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2–3 minutes. Immediately transfer mixture including the oil to a small bowl.
Fold spinach into chicken mixture and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cilantro and cashew mixture, if using. Serve with rice or naan alongside.