This traditional Sicilian recipe is a great way to cook eggplant. Ingredients such as capers, mushrooms and olives complement the eggplant beautifully. Serve with bread or as a condiment on white fish.
- 1 large eggplant cubed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 5 1/2 oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
Dice the eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the chopped eggplant, onion, pepper, mushrooms and garlic. Allow to cook over medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 25 minutes until all the vegetables have softened.