These pumpkin muffins are delicious to have in the house for a snack or for feeding company, especially around Thanksgiving. The green pistachio topping works well with the cinnamon and cardamom spices in the frosting, and also adds a bright pop of color. Enjoy!
Pumpkin muffins with cinnamon cardamom frosting
- 1 cup 1 all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsalted shelled pistachios, finely chopped
Ingredients for the cinnamon cardamom frosting
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Brush or spray the top of 10 muffin tins with vegetable oil and line them with 10 paper liners.
Into a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cardamom, and nutmeg. In a larger bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin purée, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vegetable oil. Add the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Divide the batter among the prepared tins and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a test knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
Spread with cinnamon cardamom frosting and sprinkle with the chopped pistachios.
Directions for cinnamon cardamom frosting
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the cream cheese and butter on low speed until smooth. Stir in the cinnamon, cardamom, and vanilla extract. With the mixer still on low, slowly add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.