- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion minced
- 1 large green bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 Jalapeno chile pepper cored, seeded and finely chopped
- 5 medium sized garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 28 oz can whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 sprig of parsley for garnish
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 tsp Maldon smoked sea salt
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onions and saute over meidum heat, until translucent, 5-10 minutes. Add the bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute for another 3-5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste as well as the garlic and allow to cook for another 2 minutes, making sure the garlic does not brown.
Add the tomatoes and their juices, the sugar, salt, pepper, paprika and cumin. Let the mixture simmer at medium-low heat for about 30 minutes or so, stirring every 5 minutes, until the tomato mixture has thickened and there is little liquid left in the pan.
Using a large spoon, make little 4 dips in the sauce. Carefully crack the eggs, making sure the yolk stays intact, and place each one in the little dip. Cover with a lid, and allow the eggs to set for 5-10 minutes, until the egg whites have become opaque and the yolk are still runny.
Remove the skillet from the heat, allow to rest for a few minutes, and serve, garnished with the feta cheese and minced parsley. Top with Maldon smoked sea salt.