Birthday chocolate cupcakes
adapted from Hershey's Perfectly chocolate chocolate cake recipe (Hersheys.com). Yields 30 cupcakes. Prep time 15 minutes, baking time 15 minutes.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cup spelt or all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water or 1/2 cup boiling water and 1/2 cup espresso
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 10 Oreo cookies, chopped into small pieces
- 4 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
Prepare 2 muffin pans with liners and preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients ( sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) till well blended.
In a separate bowl, mix the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract. Incorporate into the dry mixture and combine thoroughly.
Add the cup of boiling water, or 1/2 cup boiling water and 1/2 espresso to the mix and combine till blended. (The batter is thin).
In the microwave, heat 1/2 chocolate chips till melted, in 20 second increments, to avoid burning the chocolate. Add the melted chocolate to the batter.
Add 2 tablespoons sprinkles to the batter and mix.
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pans and top each cupcake with Oreo pieces, mini marshmallows and remaining sprinkles.
Bake for 15 minutes or until test knife comes out clean and allow to cool on a rack.