Quick Coconut Chicken Curry
adapted from Epicurious 2017
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 7), cut into 1" cubes
- 2 1/2 tsp mild curry powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut or vegetable oil (plus 2 teaspoons; optional)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk (preferably full-fat)
- 1 (2 1/2") piece ginger, peeled
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, chopped (optional)
- 5 oz baby spinach
- Cilantro leaves with tender stems and cooked rice or naan (Indian flatbread; for serving)
In a medium bowl, mix chicken with curry powder, salt, and pepper.
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes.
In a blender, purée coconut milk, ginger, and garlic until very smooth.
Add chicken and coconut milk mixture to skillet and cook, mixing occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened, 7-10 minutes.
Meanwhile, if using, heat 2 tsp. oil in a small skillet over medium. Add cashews cook, stirring, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2–3 minutes. Immediately transfer mixture including the oil to a small bowl.
Fold spinach into chicken mixture and cook until wilted, about 1 minute. Divide among 4 bowls. Top with cilantro and cashew mixture, if using. Serve with rice or naan alongside.