Arugula with Roasted butternut squash and caramelized apple vinaigrette
- 3 cups roasted butternut squash see recipe here
- 3 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 4 ounces baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup pecans, toasted
- Caramelized Apple Vinaigrette
- 2 ounces brown sugar
- 3 ounces plus 1 ounce apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and medium diced
- 1 lemon
- 4 ounces olive oil
- 2 ounces canola oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
For the vinaigrette:
Place 3 oz of the vinegar and the brown sugar in small saucepan over medium heat. Let it reduce for a few minutes. When you see that the color has turned a dark caramel and bubbles start to form, add the apples and garlic, and sauté until the apples are soft, about 5 minutes.
Pour the apple reduction into a blender; add the remaining 1 oz vinegar, thyme, juice of ½ lemon and salt to taste. Process and then slowly add the oil, blending until emulsified.
To prepare the salad, toss ingredients with vinaigrette right before serving.