vanilla sugar cookies
Yields 15-25 cookies, depending on cookie cutter used
- 2 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar, for sprinkling onto the cookies before baking (optional)
Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl.
In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar together at medium speed until the mixture is fluffy and light. Add the egg and vanilla and mix until just combined.
Add the flour mixture in batches, making sure to scrape down the bowl. Do not over mix.
When combined, place the dough on a floured surface. Shape into a disk, and cover with cling wrap. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Preheat over to 350 F, and cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Place the cookie dough onto a large piece of parchment paper. Cover with another large sheet of parchment paper, and roll out the dough with a rolling pin to 1/4 inch thickness.
Using a round cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Using an offset spatula, place the cookies on the prepared sheets, about 1 inch apart.
Sprinkle sugar on top of the cookies.
(f you plan on decorating these cookies with royal icing, chill the cookies for at least 15 minutes before baking them or until they are stiff. Also do not sprinkle with sugar)
Bake for 10 minutes, or until light golden brown.
Cool on a rack.