- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons chile powder
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ ground cumin
- ¼ cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, and more for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and chopped (optional)
- 4 halibut steaks, or other flaky white fish such as mahi mahi
- ½ tsp salt
- Juice of 1 lime and more lime cut into quarters
- 8 fresh corn tortillas
- Mexica crema
- Tomato salsa, Fresh or store bought
Place the sliced red onion in a bowl and add 1/2 cup red wine vinegar and one tablespoon honey. Allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
To prepare the halibut marinade, pour the olive oil into a small bowl and add the chile powder, oregano, cumin, chopped cilantro, jalapeño and the lime juice. Mix well.
Place the fish filets in a shallow dish and coat well with the marinade on both sides. Let the fish marinate for 20 minutes.
Heat an outdoor or indoor grill (I use a grill over my stove).
Grill the halibut steaks 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness.
You can check how cooked the steaks are by lightly pressing down on the top of the fish. When you feel it is starting to get firm, you can remove from the grill.
To heat the tortillas place 4 on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel. Microwave for 30-45 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Garnish with cilantro leaves, lime quarters, and serve with Mexican crema, and fresh salsa.