- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 ground cumin
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped, and more for garnish
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed and chopped (optional)
- 4 halibut steaks, or other flaky white fish such as mahi mahi
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Juice of 1 lime and more lime cut into quarters
Pour the olive oil into a small add the chile powder, oregano, cumin, chopped cilantro, jalapeno and the lime juice. Mix well. Place the fish filets in a shallow dish and coat well on both sides. Let the fish marinate for 20 minutes.
Heat an outdoor or indoor grill (I use a grill over my stove).
Grill the halibut steaks 3-4 minutes per side depending on thickness.
You can check how cooked the steaks are by lightly pressing down on the top of the fish. When you feel it is starting to get firm, you can remove from the grill.
Garnish with cilantro leaves, lime quarters, and serve with Mexican crema, and fresh salsa.